Get Your Glow Back – With Dr Anita Mitra – Episode 10
I’m so so excited to get stuck into this amazing, insightful episode with Dr.Anita Mitra, also known as Gynae Geek!! London based doctor, specifically trained in academic research and clinical medicine. She is the author of the Gynae geek, no nonsense guide to down there, health care.
Today we talked through all things vaginal health, from fertility to menopause, why you don’t need to shave your vagina, PCOS and so much more. Here are some of the main takeaways.
What is a normal menstrual cycle?
- So the average menstrual cycle is 28 days long, but only 15% of people have this cycle . However, 7 days either side of that is normal.
- It should be regular.
- Irregular means you can’t predict when your period is going to be
- Lasts 3-5 ish days
- It shouldn’t be too heavy or too painful (but it is normal to be a bit uncomfortable) – big clots and lots of them and constantly changing pads is a heavy period – if it’s concerning speak to a GP or friend
Why Not To Feel Shy When Your Vaginas Getting Checked
- We’ve seen hundreds and hundreds
- Everyone is normal
- No vagina is the same
- Instagram: Vulvar gallery (pics of v’s)
- You don’t need to WAX OR SHAVE
Joes Trust found that one of the main reasons why people don’t want to get screened is because of having to remove their hair
Is Polycystic ovary syndrome – a common condition that affects how a woman’s ovaries work
Which can often mean Irregular or no period
Signs of too much male hormones (acne, baldness, oily skin.. etc) – this can be shown in a blood test, so do ask your GP if you’re worried
It can also mean a lot of cysts on your ovaries
PCOS -How to Manage It – Lifestyle Modification –
Stress: relaxing and taking time for yourself
Food: not as much high sugar, high salt, high fat foods – loads of fresh fruit and veg, green veggies and fibre!! Keep it diverse and try probiotic or fermented foods
Exercise: try less HITT, more weights or light cardio
Look at everything holistically and as a whole
Repairing Our Vaginas
- Use pads
- Let the blood come out
- Loose Vagina: pelvic floor exercises
- Remember it won’t just pop back to normal
- Don’t be afraid to use lubricants (company called YES)
- See your GP if you’re worried about the dryness
- Talk to your partner about it
- Sometimes probiotics!
- Look into your diet!
- Wash with just water
Where to find Dr.Anita Mitra
I hope you enjoyed this episode, don’t forget to rate and review, it means the world.
Please do share you were tuning in by tagging me on Instagram @madeleine_shaw_ and hashtag #GetYourGlowBack . See you next week gorgeous.
Lots of love,